proper noun the Axis
- The alliance group before and during World War II consisting of Germany, Italy, Japan, and allied countries.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Axis for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
noun (plural axes)
- (geometry) An imaginary line around which an object spins (an axis of rotation) or is symmetrically arranged (an axis of symmetry).
- The Earth rotates once a day on its axis.
- (mathematics) A fixed one-dimensional figure, such as a line or arc, with an origin and orientation and such that its points are in one-to-one correspondence with a set of numbers; an axis forms part of the basis of a space or is used to position and locate data in a graph (a coordinate axis).
- (anatomy) The second cervical vertebra of the spine.
- Dutch: draaier
- French: axe
- German: Achse
- Italian: epistrofeo
- Spanish: eje
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for axis for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.