- (military) Absence without proper authority from the properly appointed place of duty, or from unit, organization, or other place of duty at which one is required to be at the time prescribed.
- (military) A person who holds AWOL status.
- (context, generic) Somebody who is absent without permission.
- (figurative) Someone or something missing.
- (military and generic): Absent without leave (permission).
Etymology: Acronym from the United States Army "Absent WithOut Leave."
- The US Army had a lot of soldiers.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for AWOL for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.