- Oppressing with fear or horror; appalling; terrible; as, an awful scene.
- Inspiring awe; filling with profound reverence, or with fear and admiration; fitted to inspire reverential fear; profoundly impressive.
- Struck or filled with awe; terror-stricken.
- worshipful, Worshipful; reverential; law-abiding.
- frightful, Frightful; exceedingly bad; great; applied intensively; as, an awful bonnet; an awful boaster.
- Dutch: vreselijk
- French: épouvantable, terrible, horrible
- Spanish: horrible, espantoso, terrible
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for awful for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.