- Self-governing. Governing independently.
- Acting on one's own. Acting independently. Acting without being governed by parental or guardian rules.
- In the grammar of Celtic languages: (of a verb form) used with no subject, indicating an unknown or unspecified agent; used in similar situations as the passive in English (the difference being that the theme in the English passive construction is the subject, while in the Celtic autonomous construction the theme is the object and there is no subject).
- Dutch: autonoom
- French: autonome m/f
- German: autonom
- Italian: autonomo , autonoma
- Spanish: autónomo , autónoma
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for autonomous for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.