- A car with automatic transmission.
- I never learned to drive a stick. I can only drive an automatic.
- A semi-automatic pistol is often referred to as an automatic, although this is not strictly correct.
- German: Auto mit Automatikgetriebe
- Capable of operating without external control or intervention.
Translations: Etymology: From French automatique, from (italbrac, automatikos), from Ancient Greek (italbrac, automaton), neutral of (italbrac, automatos) "selfmoving, moving of oneself, self-acting, spontaneous", from (italbrac, autos) "self, myself" + (italbrac, memaa) "to wish eagerly, strive, yearn, desire".
- The automatic clothes washer was a great labor-saving device
- Acting out of habit; without conscious thought.
- My reaction of fear was automatic.
- Describes a firearm which fires continuously as long as the trigger is pressed and ammunition is not exhausted. Used regarding machine pistols, submachine guns, or machine guns.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for automatic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.