- a Tatar city and region in Russia, located on the Volga River, conquered by Ivan the Terrible in 1556.
- (archaic) astrakhan fleece
- 1891: Heavy bands of were slashed across the sleeves and fronts of his double-breasted coat " Arthur Conan Doyle, "A Scandal In Bohemia" (Norton 2005 p.14)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Astrakhan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Etymology: Named from the Central-Asian city and region w:Astrakhan, Astrakhan.
- Closely-curled black or grey fleece of very young karakul lambs from Astrakhan.
- cloth resembling the above mentioned fur.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for astrakhan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.