- A slim hardwood spear or javelin with an iron tip, especially those used by Bantu peoples of Southern Africa.
- 1922: A birdchief, bluestreaked and feathered in war panoply with his , striding through a crackling canebrake over beechmast and acorns. (Joyce, Ulysses)
- The tree species Curtisia dentata, because its wood is traditionally used to made assegais.
- Dutch: assagaai or assegaai or
- Spanish: azagaya
Etymology: From French azagaie (now zagaie) or Portuguese azagaia, Spanish azagaya, from colloquial Arabic ÙÙ + Ù, from Berber zaÄÄya "spear".
- To spear with an assegai.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for assegai for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.