- (botany) Flowering plants of the w:Asphodelaceae, Asphodelaceae family, especially w:Asphodelus, Asphodelus ramosus and w:Asphodelus albus, Asphodelus albus; the flowers of these plants.
- (mythology) The flower said to carpet Hades, and a favorite food of the dead.
Translations: Etymology: Greek, asphodelos
- Her hand he seis'd, and to a shadie bank,
- Thick overhead with verdant roof imbowr'd
- He led her nothing loath; Flours were the Couch,
- Pansies, and Violets, and Asphodel,
- And Hyacinth, Earths freshest softest lap. -- John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 9.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for asphodel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.