- Determined by impulse rather than reason.
- Chosen for no reason, somewhat random.
- Outcome usually technically logical.
- The equation is true for an value of x.
Etymology: From arbitrarius, from arbiter - eye-witness, on-looker; judge, overseer, lord; executor. Mainly in legal context.
- Dutch: willekeurig
- French: arbitraire
- German: arbitrí¤r, willkí¼rlich
- Spanish: arbitrario
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for arbitrary for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.