- (grammar) a construction in which one noun or noun phrase is placed with another as an explain, explanatory equivalent, both having the same syntactic function in the sentence.
- The relationship between such nouns or noun phrases.
- The quality of being side-by-side, apposed instead of being opposed, not being front-to-front but next to each other.
- A placing of two things side by side, or the fitting together of two things.
- In biology, the growth of successive layers of a cell wall.
- From appositio > appositum, past participle of apponere "to put near".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for apposition for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.