- (the Apple) A nickname for New York City (usually the Big Apple).
- (®) A multimedia corporation (w:Apple Corps, Apple Corps) and record company (w:Apple Records, Apple Records) founded by the w:Beatles, Beatles.
- (®) Name of the company, w:Apple Inc., Apple Inc. (formerly Apple Computer), that produces computers and other digital devices.
- (®) A computer produced by the company Apple Inc.
- (rare) a female given name.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Apple for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- A common round fruit produced by the tree Malus domestica, cultivated in temperate climates.
- A tree growing such fruit, of the genus Malus; the apple tree.
- The wood of the apple tree.
- (context, in plural, Cockney rhyming slang) Short for apples and pears.
- (context, baseball, slang, obsolete) The ball in baseball.
Etymology: íppel "fruit, apple" < (Ger.) < abl-, ablu-. Cognate with Scots aipple, Dutch appelDutch, appel, German Apfel, Swedish ípple; and (from IE) with Irish íll, Lithuanian obuolys, Russian Ñ, Serbian ÑÑ.
- Dutch: appel(nl)m
- French: pommier(fr)m
- German: Apfelholz
- Italian: mela(it)f
- Spanish: manzana(es)f
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for apple for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.