- An animal of a class of primates generally larger than monkeys and distinguished from them by having no tail.
- (derogatory) An uncivilised person.
verb (ap, ing)
- Dutch: aap , apin , mensaap
- French: singe
- French, singe
- German: Affe
- Italian: scimmia
- (transitive) To imitate.
- 1961, J. A. Philip, "Mimesis in the Sophistíªs of Plato," Transactions and Proceedings of the American Philological Association, vol. 92, p. 454,
- : It is not conceived as a mere "aping" in externals nor as an enacting in the sense of assuming a foreign role.
Etymology: From , from (term, apa, lang=ang).
- Dutch: na-apen, nadoen, nabootsen, imiteren
- German: nachí¤ffen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ape for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.