noun ((plural) antepenultimates)
adjective (no comparative or superlative)
- Two before the last in a series. e.g. (..., antepenultimate, penultimate, ultimate)
- The syllable that comes two before the last in a word.
- The word "antepenultimate" is stressed on the antepenultimate.
- Two before the last in a series.
- This book has ten chapters – chapter 8 is the antepenultimate one.
Etymology: ante- meaning before, pen- from the Latin paene meaning almost, and ultimate from the Latin ultimus meaning last
- French: antépénultième
- German: drittletzt
fgf ghf g
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for antepenultimate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.