- (transitive) To smear or rub over with oil or an unctuous substance; also, to spread over, as oil.
- And fragrant oils the stiffened limbs anoint. --Dryden.
- He anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay. --John ix. 6.
- (transitive) To apply oil to or to pour oil upon, etc., as a sacred rite, especially for consecration.
- Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his Aaron's head and anoint him. --Exod. xxix. 7.
- Anoint Hazael to be king over Syria. --1 Kings xix. 15.
Etymology: Old French enoint, past participle of enoindre, from Latin inungere, inLatin, in + ungere or unguere ("to smear", "to anoint"). See ointment, unguent.
- French: oindre
- Italian: ungere
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for anoint for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.