- Of a significant event, a day that is an exact number of years (to the day) since the event occurred; often preceded by an ordinal number indicating the number of years that have elapsed since the event.
- Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the end of the war.
- Specifically, a wedding anniversary.
- We are celebrating our tenth anniversary today.
Etymology: From the Latin adjective anniversarius, "returning yearly", from vertere, "to turn", + annus, "year".
- French: anniversaire
- German: Jahrestag , Hochzeitstag (2)
- Italian: anniversario
- Spanish: aniversario
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for anniversary for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.