noun (plural amethysts)
- A transparent purple variety of quartz, used as a gemstone.
- A purple colour.
- <table><tr><td>amethyst colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- 86608E" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- (heraldry) The purple tincture when emblazoning the arms of the English nobility.
- Dutch: amethyst(nl)m
- German: Amethyst(de)m
- Italian: ametista(it)f
Translations: Etymology: :Comes from Greek amethystos meaning "not drunken", from methu meaning wine. The Greeks believed that the amethyst prevented intoxication.
- Having a colour similar to that of the gemstone
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for amethyst for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.