- Possessing, or controlled by, ambition; greatly or inordinately desirous of power, honor, office, superiority, or distinction.
Translations: Etymology: Latin ambitiosus: compare with French ambitieux. See ambition.
- 1891, w:Arthur_Conan_Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Man with the Twisted Lip,"
- :As I grew richer I grew more , took a house in the country, and eventually married, without anyone having a suspicion as to my real occupation.
- Strongly desirous—followed by "of" or the infinitive; as, ambitious to be or to do something.
- Springing from, characterized by, or indicating, ambition; showy; aspiring.
- an style
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ambitious for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.