- The lesser white heron; the egret.
- A feather or plume, or feather-shaped item, used as an adornment or ornament.
Etymology: From French, aigrette "egret".
- 2006, Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day, Vintage 2007, p. 181:
- :Young women attired often in nothing more than ostrich-feather aigrettes dyed in colors of doubtful taste ran nubilely up and down the marble staircases, chased by young men in razor-toed ball shoes of patent-leather.
- The feathery crown of some seeds (such as the dandelion)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for aigrette for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.