- One who exerts power, or has the power to act; an actor.
Translations: Etymology: From agentem.
- Heaven made us agents, free to good or ill. --Dryden.
- One who acts for, or in the place of, another, by authority from him; one intrusted with the business of another; a substitute; a deputy; a factor.
- An active power or cause; that which has the power to produce an effect; as, a physical, chemical, or medicinal agent; as, heat is a powerful agent.
- (computing) In the client-server model, the part of the system that performs information preparation and exchange on behalf of a client or server. Especially in the phrase “intelligent agent” it implies some kind of automatic process which can communicate with other agents to perform some collective task on behalf of one or more humans.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for agent for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.