- (mineralogy) A semipellucid, uncrystallized variety of quartz, presenting various tints in the same specimen. Its colors are delicately arranged in stripes or bands, or blended in clouds.
- Note: The fortification agate, or Scotch pebble, the moss agate, the clouded agate, etc., are familiar varieties.
- (printing): A kind of type, larger than pearl and smaller than nonpareil; in England called ruby.
- (obsolete): A diminutive person; so called in allusion to the small figures cut in agate for rings and seals.
- A tool used by gold-wire drawers, bookbinders, etc.;—so called from the agate fixed in it for burnishing.
- (obsolete): On the way; agoing; as, to be agate; to set the bells agate.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for agate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.