- Any condition, circumstance, opportunity, or means, particularly favorable to success, or to any desired end; benefit; as, the enemy had the advantage of a more elevated position.
- Superiority; mastery; — with of or over.
- Superiority of state, or that which gives it; benefit; gain; profit; as, the advantage of a good constitution.
- (tennis) The score where one player wins a point after deuce
verb (advantag, ing)
- French: avantage
- German: Vorteil
- Spanish: beneficio
(trans-top, The score where one player wins a point after deuce)
Etymology: avantage, avauntage, avantage, from avant before. See advance, and confer vantage.
- To provide with an advantage.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for advantage for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.