- (uncountable) A state of being acquainted, or of having intimate, or more than slight or superficial, knowledge; personal knowledge gained by intercourse short of that of friendship or intimacy
- I know of the man; but have no with him.
- Sir W. Jones,
- :Contract no friendship, or even , with a guileful man.
- (countable) A person or persons with whom one is acquainted.
- Thomas Macaulay
- :Montgomery was an old acquaintance of Ferguson.
- To be of acquaintance, to be intimate
- To take acquaintance of or with
- To make the acquaintance of.
Etymology: Old English aqueintance, Old French acointance, from acointier.
- Dutch: kennis , bekende
- German: Bekannter
- Italian: conoscenza
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for acquaintance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.