- The act of acknowledging; admission; avowal; owning; confession.
- An acknowledgment of fault - James Anthony Froude?
- The act of owning or recognized in a particular character or relationship; recognition as regards the existence, authority, truth, or genuineness.
- Immediately upon the acknowledgment of the Christian faith, the eunuch was baptized by Philip. - Richard Hooker?
- The owning of a benefit received; courteous recognition; expression of thanks - Shakespeare
- Something given or done in return for a favor, message, etc. - Tobias Smollett
- A declaration or avowal of one's own act, to give it legal validity; as, the acknowledgment of a deed before a proper officer. Also, the certificate of the officer attesting such declaration.
Etymology: (suffix, acknowledge, ment)
- French: remerciement
- German: Quittung
- Italian: riconoscimento
- Spanish: reconocimiento
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for acknowledgment for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.