- A coming to; the act of acceding and becoming joined; as, a king's to a confederacy.
- Increase by something added; that which is added; augmentation from without; as, an of wealth or territory.
Etymology: Latin accessio, from accedere: compare French accession. See accede.
- The only which the Roman empire received was the province of Britain. - Gibbon
- A mode of acquiring property, by which the owner of a corporeal substance which receives an addition by growth, or by labor, has a right to the part or thing added, or the improvement (provided the thing is not changed into a different species). Thus, the owner of a cow becomes the owner of her calf.
- The act by which one power becomes party to engagements already in force between other powers - Kent
- The act of coming to or reaching a throne, an office, or dignity; as, the of the house of Stuart; -- applied especially to the epoch of a new dynasty.
- (medicine) The invasion, approach, or commencement of a disease; a fit or paroxysm.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for accession for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.