noun (academ, ies)
- A society of learned men united for the advancement of the arts and sciences, and literature, or some particular art or science; as, the French Academy; the American Academy of Arts and Sciences; academies of literature and philology.
- A school or place of training in which some special art is taught; as, the military at West Point; a riding ; the Academy of Music.
- An institution for the study of higher learning; a college or a university.
- Popularly, a school, or seminary of learning, holding a rank between a college and a common school.
- A place of training; a school.
- Academies of fanaticism - Hume
- (1811) A brothel (1811 Dictionary of Vulgar Tongue)
Etymology: French académie < academia, acadÄmÄa < Ancient Greek (polytonic, á) (AkadÄmia), a gymnasium in Athens where Plato taught. Compare academe, academia, Akademeia.
- Dutch: academie
- French: académie
- German: Akademie
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for academy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.