- The act or practice of abstaining, refraining from indulge, indulging a desire.
- The from a present pleasure that offers itself is a pain, nay, oftentimes, a very great one. - w:John Locke, John Locke
- Specifically, the practice of abstaining from intoxicating/alcoholic beverages (also called total abstinence, teetotalism).
- Specifically, the practice of abstaining from sexual intercourse, either permanently or until marriage.
- The practice of self-denial by depriving one's self (partly or totally) of certain kinds of food or drink, especially meat.
- Penance, fasts, and , / To punish bodies for the soul's offense. - w:John Dryden, John Dryden
Etymology: From the abstinence, from the abstinentia, from abstinere; see abstain.
- Dutch: onthouding
- German: Enthaltsamkeit
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abstinence for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.