- (Original Latin sense) abstaining, Abstaining from wine.
Translations: Etymology: From Latin abstemius; ab, abs + root of temetum intoxicating drink.
- : Under his special eye Abstemious I grew up and thrived amain.
- sparing, Sparing in diet; refraining from a free use of food and strong drinks; temperate; abstinent; sparing in the indulgence of the appetite or passions.
- : Instances of longevity are chiefly among the .
- sparing, Sparingly used; used with temperance or moderation
- : an diet
- Marked by, or spent in, abstinence; as, an abstemious life.
- : One day.
- (rare) Promotive of abstemiousness
- : Such is the virtue of the well.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abstemious for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.