- The act or process of absorbing or sucking in anything, or of being absorbed and made to disappear; as, the absorption of bodies in a whirlpool, the absorption of a smaller tribe into a larger.
- (context, chemistry, physics) An imbibing or reception by molecular or chemical action; as, the absorption of light, heat, electricity, etc.
- (physiology) In living organisms, the process by which the materials of growth and nutrition are absorbed and conveyed to the tissues and organs.
- Entire engrossment or occupation of the mind; as, absorption in some employment.
Etymology: Latin absorptio, from absorbere.
- Dutch: absorptie
- French: absorption(fr)f
- German: Absorption(de)f
- Italian: assorbimento(it)m
- Spanish: absorción
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for absorption for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.