noun ((plural): abscissions)
- The act or process of cutting off.
Etymology: Latin abscissio. See abscind
- Not to be cured without the abscission of a member. - w:Jeremy Taylor, Jer. Taylor
- The state of being cut off. - Sir T. Browne
- rhetoric: A figure of speech employed when a speaker having begun to say a thing stops abruptly: thus, "He is a man of so much honor and candor, and of such generosity -- but I need say no more."
- (botany) The separation of a part at a predetermined location, such as a leaf at the base of the petiole.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abscission for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.