- The act of abolish, abolishing, or the state of being abolished; an annul, annulling; abrogation; utter destruction; as, the abolition of slavery or the slave trade; the abolition of laws, decrees, ordinances, customs, taxes, debts, etc.
- Note: The application of this word to persons is now unusual or obsolete.
- (often capitalised), (in British territories) The ending of the slave trade (1807) or of slavery (1833).
- (often capitalised), (in the US) the emancipation of slaves, by the Emancipation Proclamation (1863, ratified 1865).
Etymology: Latin abolitio, from abolere: cf. French abolition. See abolish.
- German: Abschaffung des Sklavenhandels
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abolition for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.