- A shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole: Dr.
- The act or result of shortening or reduce, reducing.
- (music) One or more dashes through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, demi-semiquavers, or hemi-demi-semiquavers.
Etymology: Established 1400"50. From late abbreviacioun, from abréviation, from Latin, abbreviÄtiÅn, from ab "from" + brevis "short" + -ion "action".
- Dutch: verkorting(nl, afkorting, f, t, nl)f
- French: (t, fr, abréviation, f)
- German: Abkí¼rzung(de)f
- Italian: abbreviazione(it)
- Spanish: (t, es, abreviación, f)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abbreviation for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.