verb (abbreviat, ing)
- (obsolete) An abridgment.
- (transitive) To make shorter; to shorten; to abridge; to reduce by means of contraction or omission, especially of words written or spoken.
- It is one thing to abbreviate by contracting, another by cutting off. " Bacon
- (math) To reduce to lower terms, as a fraction.
- Dutch: afkorten, verkorten, inkorten
- French: abréger
- German: kí¼rzen (1,2), abkí¼rzen (1)
- Italian: abbreviare
- Spanish: abreviar
- (rare) Abbreviated; abridged; shortened.
Etymology: From Latin abbreviatus, past participle of abbreviare, formed from ad- + breviare "to shorten", from brevis short.
- The abbreviate form. " Earle
- (biology) Having one part relatively shorter than another or than the ordinary type.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abbreviate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.