- (context, UK, Ireland) A supporter of the more militant or radical wing of Irish nationalism; a proponent of a united Ireland.
- (context, history, Spain) A supporter of the government side or left-wing side in the Spanish Civil War.
- (context, US, politics) A member or supporter of the Republican Party, generally the more right-wing of the two main political parties.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Republican for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- Someone who favours a republic; an anti-monarchist.
- (context, history, politics) Someone who favours social equality and opposes aristocracy and privilege.
- Sir, there is one Mrs Macaulay in this town, a great republican. One day when I was at her house, I put on a very grave countenance, and said to her, 'Madam, I am now become a convert to your way of thinking. I am convinced that all mankind are upon an equal footing...' (Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791). Travels of a Republican Radical in Search of Hot Water - Title of a collection of essays published by the leftwing novelist H. G. Wells in 1939.
- Of or belonging to a republic.
- Favouring a republic.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for republican for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.