- An affirmative expression; an answer that shows agreement or acceptance.
verb (yeses, yessing, yessed)
- Was that a yes?
- A vote of support or in favor/favour of something.
- The workers voted on whether to strike, and there were thirty "yeses" and one "no".
- (context, colloquial, transitive) To agree with, to affirm.
- Did he the veto?
- (slang) To attempt to flatter someone by habitually agreeing.
- A word used to show agreement or acceptance.
Etymology: gese, ÄÄse, probably from gea, ÄÄa "yes" + sie, sÄe "be it". Compare yea.
- Yes, you are correct.
- Yes, you may go to the bathroom now.
- A word used to indicate disagreement or dissent in reply to a negative statement.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for yes for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of yes