- A circular device capable of rotating on its axis, facilitating movement or transportation or performing labour in machines.
- (informal, with "the") A steering wheel and its implied control of a vehicle.
- (nautical) The instrument attached to the rudder by which a vessel is steered.
- (slang) A person with a great deal of power or influence; a big wheel.
- (poker slang) The lowest straight in poker: ace, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- To roll along as on wheels.
- To travel around in large circles, particularly in the air.
Etymology: hweol, hwÄoÄol, hwÄol, from Proto-Germanic
- The vulture wheeled above us.
- khwegwlan, from Proto-Indo-European
- kwe-k(w)lo-, wheel, circle, a reduplicated form of Proto-Indo-European base
- k(w)el-, to go round. Cognate with Dutch wiel, wheel; Old Church Slavonic ; Latin colere (to cultivate, to inhabit; = to turn around); and Old Norse hvél, hjól, wheel
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wheel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of wheel