- in some manner or degree; in part; partly; usually followed by with.
- What with singing and joking, the time passed quickly.
- Such; this is; that is.
- What a pity.
- What a beautiful day!
- Obs. why?
- (context, interrogative) which thing, event, circumstance, etc.: used interrogatively in asking for the specification of an identity, quantity, quality, etc.
- What is your address?
- You told them ?
- Brit. colloq.It's rather late, ?
- (context, relative, nonstandard) that; which
Etymology: < hwít < Proto-Germanic < Proto-Indo-European base
- 1902, w:J. M. Barrie, J. M. Barrie, w:The Admirable Crichton, The Admirable Crichton
- :That"s her; that"s the thing has stole his heart from me.
- kwod (which also gave us "who").
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for what for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of what