- A moving disturbance in the level of a body of water.
verb (wav, ing)
- The traveled from the center of the lake before breaking on the shore.
- (physics) A moving disturbance in the energy level of a field.
- Gravity waves, while predicted by theory for decades, have been notoriously difficult to detect.
- A shape which alternately curves in opposite directions.
- Her hair had a nice to it.
- A sudden unusually large amount of something that is temporarily experienced.
- A of shoppers stampeded through the door when the store opened for its Christmas discount special.
- A of retirees began moving to the coastal area.
- A of emotion overcame her when she thought about her son who was killed in battle.
- A sideway movement of the hand(s).
- With a of the hand.
- (intransitive) To move back and forth repeatedly.
- The flag waved in the gentle breeze.
- (intransitive) To wave one"s hand in greeting or departure.
- I waved goodbye from across the room.
- (intransitive) To have an undulating or wavy form.
- (intransitive) (baseball) To swing and miss at a pitch.
- Jones waves at strike one.
- (transitive) To cause to move back and forth repeatedly.
- The starter waved the flag to begin the race.
- (transitive) To signal someone or something with a waving movement.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wave for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of wave