noun (wikipedia, mul=war (card game))
verb (war, r, ed)
- A conflict involving the organized use of arms and physical force between countries or other large-scale armed groups. The warring parties hold territory, which they can win or lose; and each has a leading person or organization which can surrender, or collapse, thus ending the war.
- (context, rhetorical) A campaign against something. E.g., the war on drugs is a campaign against the use of narcotic drugs; the war on terror is a campaign against terrorist crime.
- (context, by analogy, uncountable) A particular card game for two players.
- To engage in conflict with a foe.
Etymology: Anglo-Norman werre from Old Northern French werre, a variant of guerre, from Old Franconian werra, ultimately from Indo-European
- His emotions with his intellect, making him conflicted.
- werza-, meaning "mixture" or "confusion."
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for war for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of war