verb (vindicates, vindicating, vindicated)
- To clear from an accusation, suspicion or criticism.
Etymology: From Latin vindicÄre (to claim, protect, avenge, or punish) < vis (force) + dicere (say).
- to someone's honor
- To justify by providing evidence.
- to a right, claim or title
- To maintain or defend a cause against opposition.
- to the rights of labor movement in developing countries
- To provide justification for.
- The violent history of the suspect vindicated the use of force by the police.
- To lay claim to; to assert a right to; to claim.
- (obsolete) To liberate; to set free; to deliver.
- (obsolete) To avenge; to punish
- A war to infidelity.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for vindicate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of vindicate