verb (vacillat, ing)
- (intransitive) To sway unsteadily from one side to the other; oscillate.
- (intransitive) To swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another.
Etymology: From vacillatum, vacillÄtum, supine form of vacillo, vacillÅ "sway, waver".
- 2004: w: Chris Wallace (journalist), Chris Wallace, Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- :On the streets of Berlin, Ruth and her compatriots vacillated "between hope and despair."
- To be indecisive, changeable or inconsistent in speech or action.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for vacillate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of vacillate