- (obsolete) : The upper part; the top.
adverb (plural: upwards)
- From the extremest of thy head. -Shak.
- In a direction from lower to higher; toward a higher place; in a course toward the source or origin; -- opposed to downward; as, to tend or roll upward.
Etymology: Anglo-Saxon upweardes. See Up-, and -wards.
- Looking inward, we are stricken dumb; looking , we speak and prevail. -Hooker.
- In the upper parts; above.
- Dagon his name, sea monster, man, And down ward fish. -Milton.
- Yet more; indefinitely more; above; over.
- From twenty years old and . -Num. i. 3.
- Directed toward a higher place; as, with upward eye; with upward course.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for upward for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of upward