- Incapable of being speak, spoken or uttered; unutterable; ineffable; inexpressible.
- 1855-1882, w:Walt Whitman, Walt Whitman, s:Leaves of Grass, Leaves of Grass, book xv,
- :The endless pride and outstretching of man, joys and sorrows.
- Unfit or not permitted to be spoken or described.
- 1916, w:James_Joyce, James Joyce, A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man, ch. 3,
- :The miser will remember his hoard of gold, the robber his ill-gotten wealth, the angry and revengeful and merciless murderers their deeds of blood and violence in which they revelled, the impure and adulterous the and filthy pleasures in which they delighted.
- Extremely bad or objectionable.
- an fool
- an play
- 1926, w:H.P. Lovecraft, H.P. Lovecraft, s:The Outsider, The Outsider,
- :Yet to my horror I saw in its eaten-away and bone-revealing outlines a leering, abhorrent travesty on the human shape; and in its mouldy, disintegrating apparel an quality that chilled me even more.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for unspeakable for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of unspeakable