- An attempt.
verb (tr, i, ed)
- I gave unicycling a but I couldn"t do it.
- An act of tasting or sampling.
- I gave sushi a but I didn"t like it.
- (rugby) A score in rugby, analogous to a touchdown in American football.
- Today I scored my first .
- To attempt. Followed by infinitive, the attempt fails or is expected to fail.
- I tried to rollerblade, but I couldn"t.
- To make an experiment. Usually followed by a present participle.
- I tried mixing more white paint to get a lighter shade.
- To work on something.
- You are trying too hard.
- To put to test
- I shall my skills on this
- To taste, sample, etc.
- Try this"you"ll love
Etymology: From trier, from , from Gallo-Romance .
- Verb, love it.
- To put on trial.
- He was tried and executed.
- To tire.
- It was a trying experience.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for try for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of try