- A person who obtains things by force; a thug or bully.
- Someone who exhibits courage and defience during a conflict. This is usually one of violence or potential violence.
- They were doing fine until they encountered a bunch of toughs from the opposition.
- strong and resilient; sturdy
- The tent, made of canvas, held up to many abuses.
- (context, of food) difficult to cut or chew
- To soften a cut of meat, the recipe suggested simmering it for hours.
- rugged or physically hardy
- Only a species will survive in the desert.
- (context, of weather etc) harsh or severe
- rowdy or rough
- A bunch of the boys from the wrong side of the tracks threatened him.
- (context, of questions etc) difficult or demanding
- This is a crowd.
- (slang) too bad!
- If you don't like it, !
- (material science) Undergoing plastic deformation before breaking. See also toughness.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tough for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of tough