- (context, obsolete, Historical) A public assembly or council in a Scandinavian country
Etymology: Old Norse íing (Swedish ting), cognate with Old English íing ( > English thing).
- 1997, Before Thorstein left home, he and Asgerd decided to take Arinbjorn's gift, the silk cloak, out of Egil's chest, and Thorstein wore it to the . " "Egil's Saga", tr. Bernard Scudder, The Sagas of Icelanders (Penguin 2001, p. 168)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Thing for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Thing
noun (plural: things; diminutives: thingy / thingie, thingo Aus)
- That which is considered to exist as a separate entity, object, quality or concept.
- A word, symbol, sign or other referent that can be used to refer to any entity.
- An individual object or distinct entity.
- whatever can be owned.
- the latest fad or fashion.
- (in plural) clothes, possessions or equipment.
- A unit.
Etymology: From , from íing.
- Get me a thing of apple juice at the store.
- In Scandinavian countries, a legislative or judicial assembly.
- (in certain fixed expressions) A problem, dilemma, or complicating factor.
- (context, U.S. slang) A penis.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for thing for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of thing