noun (wikipedia, tar, tar (viscous substance))
- (uncountable) A black, oily, sticky, viscous substance, consisting mainly of hydrocarbons derived from organic materials such as wood, peat, or coal.
- coal tar, Coal tar.
- (uncountable) A solid residual byproduct of tobacco smoke.
- (context, slang, dated) A sailor, because of their tarpaulin clothes. Also Jack Tar.
- (computing) a program for archiving files, common on Unix
- (computing) a file produced by such a program
Etymology: From teru, teoru, from Germanic , probably a derivation of trewo- ( > English tree), from Indo-European drew "tree". Cognate with Dutch teer, German Teer, Swedish tjíra.
- To coat with tar.
- (computing) To create a tar archive.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tar for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of tar