verb (switch, es)
- A device to turn electric current turn on, on and turn off, off or direct its flow.
- (context, railroading, US) A movable section of railroad track which allows the train to be directed down one of two destination tracks; point.
- A thin rod used as a whip.
- (computer science) A CLI, command line notation allowing specification of optional behavior.
- (Telephony) A system of specialized relays, computer hardware, or other equipment which allows the interconnection of a calling party's telephone line with any called party's line.
- (transitive) To exchange.
- I want to this red dress for a green one.
- (transitive) To change (something) to the specified state using a switch.
- Switch the light on.
- (transitive) To hit with a switch (rod).
- (intransitive) To change places, tasks, etc.
- I want to to a different seat.
- (slang) (intransitive) To get angry suddenly; to quickly or unreasonably become enraged.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for switch for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of switch