- (intransitive) To undergo hardship.
- (intransitive) To feel pain.
- At least he didn't when he died in the car crash.
- (context, intransitive, construed with from) To have a disease or condition.
- He's suffering from the flu this week.
- (intransitive) To become worse.
- If you keep partying like this, your school-work will .
- (transitive) To endure, undergo.
- I've been suffering your insults for years.
- I hope you never have to the same pain.
- (context, transitive, archaic) To allow.
- 1560, John Knox, First Blast of the Trumpet against the Monstrous Regiment of Women
- :... the holie ghoste doth manifestlie expresse, saying: I not that women usurpe authoritie above man:
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for suffer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of suffer