Etymology: From substantiel.
- Belonging to substance; actually existing; real; as, substantial life.
- Not seeming or imaginary; not illusive; real; solid; true; veritable. "to do some good, is the compensation for much incidental imperfection" - Cardinal Newman, The Rise and Progress of Universities
- Corporeal; material; firm.
- Having good substance; strong; stout; solid; firm; as, substantial cloth; a substantial fence or wall.
- Possessed of goods or an estate; moderately wealthy; responsible; as, a substantial freeholder.
- Large in size or value; as, a substantial amount of money.
- Most important; essential.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for substantial for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of substantial