- (countable) A long, thin and flexible structure made from threads twisted together.
- (uncountable) Such a structure considered as a substance.
- (countable) Any long, thin and flexible object.
verb (strings, stringing, strung)
- a violin
- (countable) A cohesive substance taking the form of a string.
- The of spittle dangling from his chin was most unattractive
- (countable) A series of items or events.
- a of successes
- (countable) (computer science) A sequence of characters stored consecutively in memory and capable of being processed as a single entity.
- (music, countable, usually in plural) A stringed instrument or the person playing that instrument.
- (transitive) To put (items) on a string.
Etymology: Old English streng
- You can string these beads on to this cord to make a colorful necklace
- (transitive) To put strings on (something).
- It is difficult to string a tennis racket properly
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for string for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of string